Parents Speaking Out Against Addiction has studied the country’s current drug problem. It’s not a pretty picture. Our nation’s drug problem has been growing and getting progressively worse and worse with each passing year, showing us a grim and unpleasant picture to say the least. The numbers, facts, and figures on this do not lie, and substance abuse is truly an epidemic in our country right now. For example:
- Some of the biggest problems are occurring today with drug and alcohol addiction are directly connected to crime. Studies show that substance abuse and crime very often go hand-in-hand. The truth of the matter here is that people who abuse substances commit crimes in doing so or in an effort to get a hold of substances. Furthermore, substance abuse and crime just has a tendency to go hand-in-hand.
- Realistically, this is a very concerning situation to say the least when you have the majority of all major crime in this country being directly related to drugs or alcohol or a combination of the two. For example, when people abuse substances, that itself is a crime, and people often commit more crimes in an effort to get ahold of more substances. What we are able to learn from this then is that if we could only address the substance abuse and make substance abuse less of a prevalent problem in this country then crime statistics would drop significantly as well.
- When it becomes clear that crime and substance abuse go hand-in-hand, it really opens our eyes up to just how problematic and concerning these problems are right now. The Drug Enforcement Agency, or DEA, has reported a significant increase in crime statistics in general, and has listed drug crime and alcohol abuse as being the most common causes for that. Also, the DEA has reported that around 20,000 arrests are made at U.S. borders every year for people trying to traffic substances into the country, and thousands of tons of illegal substances are being found and captured by the DEA every year as well. It's really starts to put things into perspective to the point where people can see just how risky and dangerous and damaging substance abuse really is and the connection that it has to crime.
- All across the country, as drug and alcohol addiction get steadily more more concerning and problematic, our efforts to address it have to increase. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a big crisis and a harsh concern with addiction has been plaguing the nation for some time now. How this problem pans out is pretty concerning to say the least.
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the country’s drug problem has been getting progressively more difficult with each passing year. As it stands right now, more than 300,000 people become newly addicted to drugs and alcohol each and every year. In fact, more people are getting addicted to drugs and alcohol every year than those who are able to go free from their habits every year. For the actual numbers on this, studies show that about 200,000 people are able to beat addiction every year, but more than 300,000 become newly addicted to substances every year.
- In a lot of ways, this feels like taking one step forward and two steps backward. The overall issue and concern here is such that more and more people are getting unfortunately connected in with very addictive and problematic substances. This causes a lot of crisis and a lot of harm all across the nation for those who are affected in some way by substance abuse. When we begin to work closely to examine this country’s substance abuse problem, we really start to see how much we need to start handling it quickly.